AODA Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation—Employment Standard Policy
This policy is intended to meet the requirements of the Integrated Accessibility Standards, Ontario Regulation 191/11 for the Employment Standard set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. This policy applies to the provision of accessible employment services for people with disabilities.
All employment services provided by Beatties Office Products shall follow the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity.
This policy shall apply to every person who deals with members of the public or their agents on behalf of Beatties Basics, whether the person is an employee, agent, volunteer or otherwise.
In accordance with the Integrated Accessibility Standards, Ontario Regulation 191/11, this policy
addresses the following:
- Employment Standards Overview
- Recruitment, Assessment and Selection
- Accessible Formats and Communication Supports for Employees
- Documented Individual Accommodation Plans
- Plans and Processes
A. Employment Standards Overview
The Employment Standards regulation will expand Ontario’s labour pool by ensuring people with disabilities are welcome and supported within all workplaces. Employment standards will assist organizations with employment recruitment, providing accessible information, plans for emergencies, individual accommodation, return to work, performance management, and career development.
B. Recruitment, Assessment and Selection
Beatties will notify employees and the public about the availability of accommodation for job applicants who have disabilities. Applicants will be informed that these accommodations are available, upon request, for the interview process and other candidate selection methods. Beatties will notify the successful applicant of their policies and supports for accommodating people with disabilities.
C. Accessible Formats and Communication Supports for Employees
If an employee with a disability requests it, Beatties will provide or arrange for the provision of accessible formats and communication supports for the following:
- Information needed in order to perform their job; and
- Information that is generally available to all employees in the workplace.
Beatties will consult with the employee making the request to determine the best way to provide the accessible format or communication support.
D. Documented Individual Accommodation Plans
Beatties will also develop and have in place written processes for documenting individual accommodation plans for employees with disabilities. The process for the development of these accommodation plans will include specific elements, including:
- The ways in which the employee can participate in the development of the plan;
- The means by which the employee is assessed on an individual basis;
- The ways an employee can request an evaluation by an outside medical expert, or other experts to determine if accommodation can be achieved, or how it can be achieved;
- The steps taken to protect the privacy of the employee’s personal information;
- The frequency with which the individual accommodation plan should be reviewed or updated, and how it should be done;
- The means of providing the accommodation plan in an accessible format, based on the employee’s accessibility needs.
E. Plans and Processes
Any department within Beatties that utilizes performance management tools, or provides career development and advancement to their employees, must respect the accessibility needs of their employees with disabilities when developing these processes. Every department within Beatties will provide a tailored workplace emergency response plan or information for employees with disabilities, if their disability makes it necessary.
F. Return to Work
Beatties will develop and have return to work processes in place for employees who are absent from work due to a disability—and require disability-related accommodations in order to return to work. Beatties will document these processes. The return to work process will include an outline of the steps Beatties will take to facilitate the employee’s return to work and use documented individual accommodation plans (as described in section 28 of the regulation).
If you have any questions or concerns about this policy or its related procedures please contact:
Lorraine Gerard, Human Resources and Payroll Administrator
905-688-4040 Ext 2261
399 Vansickle Rd., PO Box 3056, St. Catharines, ON, L2R 7R3
This policy and its related procedures will be reviewed as required in the event of legislative changes.