In today’s competitive job market, creativity is a highly valuable characteristic that can easily set you apart from the competition. Creativity comes naturally to some. But, what can you do if you’re not an inherently creative person? You can practice some habits that spark and promote creativity.
Here are some habits to incorporate into your routine to boost your creativity:
1. Be an early bird – Start your day early when the house and office are quietest. Creative types use that first burst of morning energy to jump right into their most difficult tasks of the day, while their brains are at their sharpest.
2. Daydream – Studies show letting your mind wander can actually lead to more creative ideas and solutions. So, give your mind a break and see where it takes you.
3. Get out and about – Take long walks. Ride public transportation. Or wander a busy retail market and observe consumer behaviors. The goal here is to get out of your normal work environment so you can let your creative juices flow.
4. Enjoy a drink – Although, we don’t recommend practicing this creative habit in excess or while on the job, having a cocktail has been shown to give you a creative boost. Drinking decreases focus and inhibitions, allowing you to come up with inspired ideas. . Have a cocktail on your own time and write your creative ideas down.
5. Be flexible – Creative people adapt to changing circumstance. If a plan changes, they go with the flow. Flexibility allows you to change up your routine and opens the door for new and inspiring experiences.